Boats & barges
- Special rates
- Barge cruises
- Cruises brochures
- Self drive Boat rental
- B & B barges
- Boats barges for sale
- Ship yards
- Season jobs & crew employment
Information about the city of Dijon
Dijon is the capital of the Burgundy region.
It is beautiful city with many places to visit such as the Palace of the Dukes wfrom where the powerful Burgundy Dukes ruled their lands.
The mustard shop which dates back to 1820, is in the "de la Libertie" and is one of the main shopping streets for the local people.
Visit the cathedral of Notre-Dame at night and view the unique facade covered with gargoles. On one of the walls there is an owl sculpted in the stone wall of the church, place your right hand on the carving and make a wish.
The antique quarter is set near the Rue Verriere with cobbled streets and half-timbered houses, there are treasors from all ages.
The cafes with terraces are the ideal place to try the traditional mixture of Cassis and white wine. When you are hungry there are restaurants at every corner, offering dishes not only from Burgundy but also many other regions of the world, there is a table which can meet all budgets.
The important market which sells food is indoors, but the clothes and other objects are spread out along the streets.
There are also many shops specializing in food products such as breads, cheeses, wines, spices and sauces.
The Palace of Dukes, which was the throne to the power Burgundy Dukes, slowly changed over the centuries from a fortified castle into an elegant palace. Today it is open for visits, is the centre of official parades and ceromonies and also one of France's finest art galleries.
In the city center there are some streets that you should explore, such as:
- Rue Berbisey, with a Cosmopolitan mixture of shops and architecture.
- Rue de la Choutte, near the cathedral Notre Dame, containing elegant antique shops.
- Rue de Liberte, the main shopping high street, with impressive clothes and fashion boutiques.
- Ducal Palace
- Art museums
- Musé des Beaux Arts, Place St Chapelle, 03 80 74 52 70
- Art Sacrée, 15 rue Sainte Anne, 03 80 44 12 69
- Vie Bourginonne, 17 rue Sainte Anne, 03 80 44 12 69
- Market place
- Gastronomic festival (October)
- Rue de la Liberty, for those wonderful French boutiques
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Excellent opportunity for private apartment rentals in the old Dijon city center.
Where to eat...
|Restaurant Thibert||03 80 67 74 64|
|La Dame Aquitaine||03 80 30 45 65|
|Cote Saint Jean||03 80 50 11 77|
Where to have a drink...
|Bars cafes clubs||Tel|
|La Jamaïque||03 80 73 52 19|
|Café Condorcet||03 80 45 14 88|